Thursday, July 29, 2010

We Can All Learn From the Paths of Others

Every person on earth has their own point of view. We all walk our own paths in life, and I think that is positive. In my opinion, writing a balanced article, or a conducting a balanced class, especially on a graduate level sometimes should include a small introduction about the author’s background. As adults, I know that I do not have to take on the view of every person that I get information from. I can agree on some points and disagree on others, even in the same article or lecture. Our professor for Social Studies, Dr. Duncan is able to do this very well. In her blogs or lectures, she often gives her view on a subject, but she introduces it as her own and lets her students know that there are other points of view to be considered. Since we are sitting in a class where there are most likely twenty four points of view that vary across the spectrum, this is ok. Learning about multiple points of view can help with developing an understanding of a complex subject matter.
I am not certain about how this works with elementary students. I think that I would like my students to know that I have a point of view, but that I do not always need to share it with them. I want them to know that they should develop their own point of view that is not necessarily the same as mine or their friends. This is harder with younger students because they are still developing the skill of understanding points of view other than their own. It should be directly taught to younger elementary students.
I do not like reading or seeing things with a definite point of view that do not acknowledge the bias that might be there. Introducing something as fact without any bias when it does exist is harmful, while sharing interpretation of facts and letting students know that there are other ways to view a situation is helpful.
Since I am married to a man who grew up speaking Dutch, I have had many experiences as the only person in the room who is not listening or speaking in my first language. I have also had a lot of experience in my personal life in clarifying “strange” American customs or expressions. I am able to follow most conversations as long as I can grab the context, but after a few hours, it gets exhausting. As far as understanding the language alone goes, after a few days in the country, I can generally follow most conversation that is clearly spoken and where people are willing to use alternate words when I do not understand one word. My ten year old nephew is great at this. He is just starting to learn English, and I am not a great Dutch speaker. However, he is willing to sit with me and try different words, or piece together the words that I find until we understand each other.
As a teacher, I have to remember how exhausting the hours of listening to a language that is not second nature to my students will be. Letting them vary their learning products can help with this. If I integrate arts into a lesson, a student can build a model, or create another product that shows the same learning result and thinking process as writing an essay would. I do not want to keep their thinking on the same level as their English language development. When they have caught up in English, I want to make sure that they have plenty to share!
I heard a story on the radio the other day that reminded me that English Language Learners are also American Culture Learners. The story was at the tail end of This American Life, and it was about a seven year old refugee who was struggling with his identity. On top of learning a new language and a new culture, he was struggling with being different and worried about things such as “How will I be able to talk to my parents if I forget Swahili?” He even spent some time changing his name to John for a while as he struggled to figure out where he fit into the new country he was living in. English Language Learners are often working out many other concepts on top of Language. I hope to bring in some of the strengths and issues that my students from all cultures bring to my classroom while teaching about social studies so that their experiences can help my class develop ideas about the world, while helping them to adjust to a very different life and form a self image as a resident of America.

1 comment:

  1. What a great personal connection you have! I have completely forgotten the amount of energy it takes to learn and be emersed in a new langauge and culture. Isn't it wonderful how your nephew can "teach" you? Thank you for your compliments! I try very hard to make known that a soapbox is about to begin :) You are correct in that you will not share your POV to young learners and you'll begin to gauge what's okay and what's too personal. If it is too personal, then that's exactly what you say (i.e. political and religious views or question). Then direct the child to talk at home about their questions with a caring adult. I thought this statement was vitally important as well; " Introducing something as fact without any bias when it does exist is harmful, while sharing interpretation of facts and letting students know that there are other ways to view a situation is helpful." Great post!

    ReplyDelete